Saturday, February 04, 2006

Horsehead History: Super Bowl XXXII- Denver 31, Green Bay 24


In one of the most entertaining Super Bowls ever played, Terrell Davis ran for 157 yards and a Super Bowl record 3 rushing touchdowns as the Denver Broncos and John Elway won their first Super Bowl over the heavily favored, defending champion Green Bay Packers. The biggest surprise was that what was believed to be Denver's biggest disadvantage going into the game; their small offensive line vs. the much bigger Green Bay defensive line featuring Reggie White and 390 pound Gilbert Brown; turned out to be its biggest advantage as the Packers D-line was worn out by the Broncos O-line especially in the fourth quarter. The win broke more than the Broncos and Elway's winless Super Bowl streak but also a 13 game losing streak of AFC teams to NFC teams in the Super Bowl.

Horsehead's Thoughts: I wore a jersey and a Broncos flag as a cape with bright orange pants for this. I couldn't sleep the night before despite drinking out to take the edge off. The Packers scored first with a Favre touchdown to Antonio Freeman, but a strange thing happened; the Broncos answered with a touchdown of their own. It was that moment that I realized this game was going to be different. The 80's teams would have started falling apart at that point.

I also remember the Broncos were ready to put this game out of reach after picking up an Antonio Freeman fumble on the kickoff return following a Davis touchdown, but Elway threw the next play into the hands of Eugene Robinson, allowing the game to be as close as it was.

The Elway tilt-a-whirl was nice but I will never forget Ed McCafferey's block on Gilbert Brown which sprung Howard Griffith loose on a drive making run in the 4th quarter setting up Davis' walk-in touchdown.

The Packers still had a chance to drive the ball down the field and tie and after Steve Atwater and Tyrone Braxton collided into each other knocking them both out of the game I thought they might be able to do it. After John Mobley knocked down Favre's 4th down pass, the Broncos were FINALLY Super Bowl Champions. I thought about my grandmother taking me to the Bottiglio's (neighbors of ours who had since moved to Florida, they called my parents that night to congratulate me even though they hadn't talked to my parents in three years) and my parents who tolerated my love for the Broncos and I started to well up. I couldn't help it. What I felt at that moment, I wish upon anyone and everyone. To follow a team, get excited for them, get hurt by them, over and over and still stay faithful and see all that faith get rewarded is one of the greatest feelings in the world. I would not have my life as a Broncos fan any other way. I know what it means to see my team come so close, to be rejected by history, then to come back and conquer it.


SuperBowl.com Recap

Box Score

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home