Sunday, January 29, 2006

Horsehead History: Super Bowl XXI- New York Giants 39, Denver 20


John Elway's first Super Bowl and the Broncos first in nine years was not pleasant. Phil Simms completed a ridiculous 22 out of 25 passes for 268 yards to lead the Giants who had dominated the NFL all season long to their rightful place as Super Bowl Champions. The Broncos only rushed for 52 yards and were blown out in the second half 39-20. The star of the game for the Broncos was actually Wide Receiver Vance Johnson, who caught five passes for 121 yards and a Touchdown, reminding us that the time has come for another Wide Receiver named "Vance".

This game was played in front over 101,000 people in the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, a record at the time and every drenched victorious Head Coach has the 86 Giants to blame for their fate...They invented the "Gatorade Shower".

As I got older, I matured and just wore a foam horse and a capeHorsehead's Memories- Age 9, Ain't I cute?? I think everyone had these Sears bought stitched replica, looks nothing like a uniform jerseys. They were long sleeved said "Broncos" (or whatever team) along the front with a 7 (or whatever number) on the front (not the back). I tied orange and blue balloons to my entire body and went to my neighbors with my Nana to watch the game, knowing the Broncos really had no shot. The Giants were that good that year.

A couple things I don't remember 1) Lawrence Taylor had a terrible game, only 4 tackles I believe. He actually never played a really good Super Bowl in his career but he has two rings 2) Denver was actually ahead 10-9 at Halftime.

I do remember Phil McConkey celebrating his touchdown in a manner that would have made TO blush and three months after Game 6 of the 1986 World Series, realizing that following sports is a pain-staking and possibly thankless lifestyle.


SuperBowl.com Recap

SuperBowl.com Box Score

1 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

I think Nana tied those balloons to you hoping you would blow away. She was still pissed that you woke her up to see the Red Sox win the World Series, and she actually saw the ball roll through Buckner's legs

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home